Translate

Monday, August 20, 2012

Pretty Foreign

I must say, I am really enjoying living in a country where I am considered pretty just because I am foreign. I didn't notice at first, until Hiroko pointed it out on our train ride to school (technically I don't start school until the 28th but Hiroko was taking me early to introduce me to the teacher and to give me a tour), that people were staring at me. The staring became much more evident to me once at school. Apparently adults are much better at hiding their interested in the gaijin (foreigner) than kids.  On the train with the adults I didn't notice until it was pointed out to me because they have a sly way of diverting their eyes anytime I would look at them. At school kids would literally stop and stare at me as I walked by. When I was in the classroom with Hiroko and her friends, people would stop at the door window and just look in at me until one of the friends would get up and go talk to them (I am assuming about why I was there).

So, to my friends who thought I would blend in here… I don't. After a while of going out in public to stores or on the train, I was becoming quite self-conscious because people would always look at me! When we got home one day, I decided to ask my Okaasan (mom) and sisters why people always stared. They started to giggle and assured me it wasn't a bad thing. Foreigners are a rare sight in our city and especially at my school- I am the very first exchange student at Kanan High School. My Okaasan even told me that when we walk by groups of people they start to whisper about "how pretty" I am. I had to laugh at that because who wouldn't want automatic good looks just for being foreign?

The other day Okaasan took me around our neighborhood and introduced me to a few neighbors just in case I need help and my family isn't around. One neighbor in particular stood out to me, because she speaks a little English, and the very first thing she said to me was "Oh, you are very pretty! Watch out, Japanese boys will be dangerous." I had to bite my tongue in order to keep from laughing. It was so funny to hear that because my only experience with Japanese boys was at school, when Hiroko took me on a tour, and the boys all seemed very quiet. Hiroko confirmed my impression by saying that boys are very shy and probably won't talk to me. It will be strange only having girl friends for awhile. But hey, maybe when my Japanese gets better I will go and start conversation with the boys! -gasp… haha.

Below are a couple of pictures of my school and the girls I have met.

Oh, I also wanted to give a quick birthday shout out to Sam Hegseth (who, I am told, has been following my blog). It is already August 21st here and I wanted to officially be the first person to say happy birthday to you on your birthday.

Hiroko on the bus in her school uniform-on the way to school.

On the bus- note the doors are on the left and the driver is on the right.

Chillin' at the train station, waiting for our first train (we have to take one bus and two trains in order to get to school).

A religious building of sorts. I'm not exactly sure what it is but it is really unique looking and I walk towards it in order to get to school. If you walk to the end of my street you can also see it in the distance.

My school is so big it required three pictures just to get the front of it...



My classroom is on the third floor (there are four floors in total).

I already posted this picture but I thought it was worth it to post again and add that I really like these girls. They seem very friendly and yesterday they asked me if I would like to go out for Japanese style pizza with them some time. Of course I said YES!

A corner of my classroom- the poster is for a school festival that is being held soon, where there will be dancing and magic. This will be entirely put on by the students and I am told that I am included in that... So stay tuned for a lot of pictures that my Okaasan and Otousan said they would take.


Note the peace sign and the fact that there are only chalk boards in the room.

The girls bathroom- Okaasan said that it is not western style and that I will have to practice being able to use this type of bathroom... uh-oh. I haven't been inside of it yet but now I am not so sure I want to.

The baseball field

The school cafe where students will sometimes buy lunch.

An outside view of the gym.

They have a room completely dedicated to table tennis!

Girls locker room.

Lockers- these were the only ones I've seen in the entire school. Although I'm not sure why they need lockers at all- I am told the students stay in one room while the teachers rotate.

The library. I was told that I would be in the library quite a bit in order to study my Japanese rather than sit in a class where I wont understand what is going on...


Sayonara from Oyabuneminamimachi, Japan.

1 comment:

  1. I know what you mean about being "pretty foreign". I have been told the same thing about Indian girls as Japanese boys and it's interesting to be considered pretty/handsome just because we look different. Positive side of sticking out!

    ReplyDelete