Translate

Sunday, September 23, 2012

Lions and Tigers and Bears OH MY!

Animal- Prof (beware it is the explicit version!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDDf9FkXMx0

I was a little nervous when I woke up and it was raining out and cold! This morning was the very first time I have felt cold in Japan, I actually had to go dig out a sweater from my luggage. I was nervous because today my family planned to go to the zoo- thankfully a little rain didn't stop us.

I love animals, I always have and I always will- my favorite movie growing up was "The Lion King". So, when I mentioned this to my family a couple of weeks ago we made a plan to visit the zoo in Osaka city. They even let me invite Mai, the other girl in my Rotary Club!

For me, going to the zoo was exciting this time because it is in a different country. Otherwise I love going to the zoo and I have gone almost every year since I was little (so not a big deal besides being in a different country part). It turns out that my family hasn't gone to the zoo in almost 15 years and Mai hasn't gone in 10 years! I was shocked, how can you resist going to the zoo for such a long time?!?

Now begins your first Japanese lesson. Along with the pictures I have the kanji/hiragana/katakana Japanese name for each animal, the romanji (English letters but Japanese word), and the English word for each animal.

キリン - Kirin - Giraffe; シマウマ - Shimauma - Zebra
ワニ - Wani - Crocodile
チンパンジー - Chinpanji - Chimpanzee
象 - Zo - Elephant (one of my favorites)
シロクマ - Shirokuma - Polar Bear
フクロウ - Fukuro - Owl (aka Hedwig)
カンガルー - Kangaru - Kangaroo
ペンギン - Pengin - Penguin
レッサーパンダ - Ressapanda - Red Panda
オオカミ - Okami - Wolf
虎 - Tora - Tiger
ヒョウ - Hyou - Leopard

ピューマ - Pyuma - Mountain Lion
鷹 - Taka - Hawk
ライオン - Raion - Lion
ハイエナ - Haiena - Hyena
 That is definitely not all of the animals I saw... I might have had over 200 pictures from the zoo today... no big deal. Mai and I were taking pictures before we even entered the zoo.

Mai explained to me that the tall building is going to be the tallest mall in Japan, once the build is completed in 5 years. It will be 60 floors high and approximately 300 meters tall. 

One last piece of exciting news is that Mai has invited me to go to Yoshino with her next weekend. It is a small village up in the mountains and it will take about 2 hours to get there. We will be going with her host sister, host sister's husband, their child, and maybe a couple more people for a barbeque then spending the night in their log house. I am very excited so stay tuned for that adventure.

Sayonara from Osaka, Japan.




2 comments:

  1. First of all, I have to say that skyping with you and hearing you talk with your host mom was so cool - YOU ARE SPEAKING JAPANESE FOR GOODNESS SAKE! Second of all, the elephant kind of rocks my socks. Third of all, I hope you have a great time in les montagnes ;) looooooooveeeee you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, the elephant is pretty great. That little guy is an Indian elephant so thumbs up!

    ReplyDelete