Translate

Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Momo Means Peach

After my very busy weekend at the Kanan School Festival I was relieved to know that I had the next two days off from school (no school Monday and Tuesday!). I was not, on the other hand, too excited about my sleeping situation- Monday morning I had to wake up at the same time I normally would to go to school because I was going to work with my Okaasan. Good news? My Okaasan works at a kindergarten!

That's right, I was in my prime situation for an entire day! I got to spend the whole day playing with little kids between the ages of 3 and 6 years old. I didn't understand a single word they said to me but it was still fun.



In the morning I joined Robby (he was Hiroko's English Tutor and works at the kindergarten as an English Teacher- he is from the UK and is really cool! I enjoy being able to talk with him) as he taught his four, 20 minute English lessons. I even helped with the Good Morning song.


After lunch with the teachers I rejoined the kids and just played with them. I spent all of play time in the Momo (momo means peach in Japanese) class of 3 and 4 year olds, they were soooo cute! They kept asking me questions and just talk talk talked away. I was able to understand some questions like "how old are you?" but otherwise everything was lost. I told Okaasan I was sad that I couldn't understand them and she said that it was okay because their Japanese isn't very good and it is even hard for her to understand them when they talk most of the time. 

The kids and I played with a lot of toys (I impressed them with being able to balance a foam block on my head) and read books together, asking each other back and forth how to say an animal or food that was pictured in the book. It was actually really helpful and I learned a lot!






I was too tired from such a busy week that I did not end up going back to work with my Okaasan on Tuesday but Okaasan says that both kids and teachers have asked when I am coming back. I feel so honored! I will actually be returning fairly soon, September 22 (I think...) for the kindergarten sports festival. It should be a lot of fun and I can't wait to see the kids again.

Sayonara from Osaka, Japan.

No comments:

Post a Comment